|::Departments : Pre Clinical : Anatomy|
DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMY
2004 marked the beginning of Department of Anatomy in Kanyakumari Government Medical College. Being the first department to be visited by the Medical students, we take the pride and responsibility to mould them .The department is well equipped with histology lab, dissection hall ,museum and research lab. Demo halls and labs are equipped with audio visual aids. The department trains under graduate students in all fields of human anatomy as per the latest CBME guidelines. Post graduate students of clinical departments also make use of our services. National and State level conferences are regular activities of our department. Students of our department are trained to participate in National and State level competitions (poster, quiz, paper presentation, model making, histology drawing etc).Our students have won many prizes and accolades.
a)TYPE OF COURSE: MEDICAL
|Name of course offered
||Sanctioned number of seats
||5 years 6 months
||The T.N DR.M.G.R Medical university,Chennai
b) ACADEMIC CURRICULUM
Periodic academic activities held in the department.
||UNDERGRADUTE ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES-MBBS
||Small Group Teaching
||Self Directed Learning
||Early Clinical Exposure
||Formative and summative assessments
4) DEPARTMENT MUSEUM
The department museum has sufficient numbers of gross specimens, bones, models charts which are neatly illustrated and displayed. The exhibits include embryology, radiology, regional and comparative anatomy.
5) LABORATORY/RESEARCH LAB
We have well equipped research lab needed for preparation of histology slides.
6) RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS:(National and International-past 5 years)
1) Abnormal origin of vertebral artery DR.V.Anitha MS ;International Journal of Anatomical Sciences Vol 3; No:1;March 2012.
2) Analysis of the height of origin of Profunda femoris artery from the femoral artery with regards to the inguinal ligament; Sugin Glen Basil.J, DR.V.Anitha MS; International Journal of Anatomy and Research Vol 2(3),533-36,2014.
3) Anomalous origin of left vertebral artery arising from the arch of aorta and its embryological basis.Surya .B;DR.V.Anitha MS ; International Journal of Anatomy and Research; Vol 2(3),537-40 ,2014.
4) A review of anatomy of lower end of oesophagus .DR.V.Anitha MS; DR.Antoine Berty McH; National Journal of Clinical Anatomy Vol 4(3) ,160-163 July 2015.
5) Simple cystic disease of kidney DR.V.Anitha MS; DR.Leo David MD ;DR Sugin Glen Basil ;International Journal of Current Medical and Applied Sciences ;Vol 10 (3);May 2016.
6) Wormian bones –an original Research article DR.V.Anitha MS G.Jai Harish. S.Manoj Rishi ;International Journal of Science and Research Vol 6 (10) October 2017.
7) Morphological variations of styloid process DR.R.Suneer .DR.V.Anitha ; International Journal of E.N.T Vol 8(1) October 2018.
8) Variations of hepatic artery encountered in Hepatopancreaticbiliary surgeries: A study about replaced hepatic artery. DR.Antoine Berty McH; DR.V.Anitha MS ;Indian Journal of Research Vol 8;issue 10;October 2019.
9) Morphometric study of variation of branching pattern of posterior tibial artery and its clinical significance DR.G.A Jos Hemalatha MD. DR.K.Arumugam MD; International Journal of Scientific Research-Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences Vol 15;Issue II ;Version 6;Feb 2016; 29-40
10) Study on the occurrence of Wormian bones in human adult dry skulls. DR.G.A.Jos Hemalatha MD; DR.K.Arumugam MD; International Journal of Current Medical and Applied Sciences ;Vol 9 ;Feb 2016.126-128
11)Morphological study of origin of profunda femoris artery in human cadavers. DR.G.A.Jos Hemalatha MD; DR.K.Arumugam MD; International Journal of Anatomy and Research;June 2018.
12)Morphometric study of sternal foramen in adult human dry sternum DR.G.A.Jos Hemalatha MD; DR.K.Arumugam MD; International Journal of Anatomical variations ;December 2018.
13) Morphological variations of fissures and lobes of lung DR.G.A.Jos Hemalatha MD; DR.K.Arumugam MD; International Journal of Scientific Research April 2019.,
14) Anatomical variations in the branching pattern of superior mesenteric artery in adult human cadavers.DR .Shoma Alban MD; J.Sujitha Jacinth ; y.Jaipaul; V.Muniappan. ; International Journal of Anatomy and Research; Vol 6(2.3),5371-78,2018
15) A Study of morphometric and topographic anatomy of nutrient foramina in fibula- DR .Shoma Alban MD; DR.J.B.Linda MD; DR.G.A.Jos Hemalatha MD .International Journal of Anatomy ,Radiology and Surgery .Accepted for publication on July 05 2021
16) Study of variations in the extensor tendons of forearm and hand. Dr. N.Esther Yamuna.M.D.,DR.V.Dhanalakshmi MD ;DR Ganga N.V; International Journal of Anatomy and Research;Vol 5 (4.1),4504-4509; 2017
17) Dermatoglyphic study in children with mental retardation. Dr. N.Esther Yamuna.M.D.,DR.V.Dhanalakshmi MD ; International Journal of Anatomy and Research; Vol 5 (1),3541-46; 2017
18) Study of supraorbital notches and foramina in unknown dry human skulls. Dr.LindaJ.B.M.D., Journal of Evidence Based Medical Health ;Vol 2;Issue 59;2349-2562 Dec 2015
19) Cadaveric study of sciatic nerve with special reference to Grudhrasi(sciatica)-a preliminary study. DR Vino VICTOR Jesudhas.MS ;DR.S.Lenin BAMS ;International Journal of Ayurvedha and Allied Sciences 2015;4(6);122-127
20) Lobulated spleen-a cadaveric study-segmental resection of spleen;DR Edwin Emperor Cyril Raj McH; DR.S.Lenin BAMS ;Journal of Medical Science and Clinical Research Vol 4(10) 2016.
21)Variations in Division of Sciatic nerve-A cadaveric study- DR Vino VICTOR Jesudhas.MS ;DR.S.Lenin BAMS ;Journal of Evidence based medicine and Health-Vol -3 issue 17 pg 675-677 2016
7) ONGOING RESEARCH
1. Attitude of Medical students towards Transgenders –An approach through flipped classroom -Dr.V.Anitha MS
2. Morphology of Foramen Magnum in Adult Human Skull-DR.V.Anitha MS,Arthishree.
3. A study on applied aspects of OMENTUM-Reconstructive Surgery- DR.V.Anitha , DR.S.Lenin BAMS
4. Morphometric study of branching pattern of Right coronary artery. DR.G.A.Jos Hemalatha MD; DR.K.Arumugam MD.
5. Morphometric study of branching pattern of left coronary artery. DR.G.A.Jos Hemalatha MD; DR.Linda MD
4. Study of branching patterns of arch of aorta- Dr.Linda.J.B, Dr.J.Mimmy Sangeeth
5. Study of palmar dermatoglyphics in essential hypertensive patients- Dr.J.Mimmy Sangeeth, Dr.Shoma
6. A Study on Variations of Renal Artery - Dr. N.Esther Yamuna MD, Dr.Linda.J.B MD.
7. A Study in the variations of the course of median nerve and musculocutaneous nerve in arm - Dr. N.Esther Yamuna MD, Dr.Linda.J.B MD.
8) CME/WORKSHOP CONDUCTED BY THE DEPARTMENT
1) EMBRYON-2016 –Date 18/12/2016. A State level conference on Embryology
2) OTOKON -2016- Date 22/10/2016 and 23/10/2016 , With Department of ENT,National conference on wet ear specimens
3) RADI-ANAT’18-Date 05/01/2018.A State level conference on radiological anatomy
4) OTOKON -2018- Date 14/12/2018 to16/12/2018 , With Department of ENT,National conference on wet ear specimens
5) HISTION 19-Date 07/01/2019 A State level conference on Histological anatomy
6) Green Mela-2016,2017,2018
9) CME/WORKSHOP ATTENDED BY THE FACULTIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
1) ForAnSync-2021-July 16th and 17th National E-Conference in Anatomy; Implications of Anatomy in Forensic Medicine.
2) Virtual CME on Brain Stem-An Integrated Approach to clinical syndromes-Arupadai Veedu Medical College-06/07/2020
3) Sensitization programme on Basic Medical Education Technologies-Govt Villupuram Medical College and Hospital-07/18/2020
4)Vitual Mediquiz competition-October 2020
5)Emerging paradigms in treartment of Hansens disease-GVMCH-28/01/2020
6)EMBRYO-GEN 2020-A State level conference on General Embryology-GVMCH-09/01/2020
7)ELIXIR -19-Workshop on Airway management and CME on carcinoma of breast-GVMCH-27/08/2019
8) SPOT THE STROKE FAST-CME ON NEUROANATOMY-Govt Kilpauk Medical College-07/06/2019
9)RADINACE –Govt Medical College-Trivandrum-02/03/2019
10) International Conference on Exploring Anatomy and Genetics by modern research trends and education-DR.V.ANITHA MS Presented a paper on A Study of Morphological Variations of Styloid Process.-10/04/2018- Arupadaiveedu Medical College,Pondicherry
11) GERON -2018 Date 09/11/2018-State conference on Physiology-Kanyakumari Govt Medical College
12) CME Programme on THYROID -21/07/17 –Kanyakumari Govt Medical College DR.V.ANITHA MS presented a topic on Surgical Anatomy of Thyroid Gland
13) CME-CHD CONNECTAND KARYOKWIZ-2017-K.A.P.V Govt Medical College ,Trichy 06/01/2017
14) OTOKON -2016- Date 22/10/2016 and 23/10/2016 , With Department of ENT,National conference on wet ear specimens- Kanyakumari Govt Medical College DR.V.ANITHA MS presented a topic on Surgical Anatomy of Temporal Bone
13) TANSIYON-AN UPDATE ON BLOOD PRESSURE-KanyaKumari Govt Medical College-26/11/2016.
14)WORKSHOP-Introduction to scientific and medical writing-THE T.N DR.M.G.R Medical University-14/10/2015
10) CME/WORKSHOP ATTENDED BY THE UG STUDENTS
1) EMBRYON -2016-18/12/2016 Poster presentation for under graduate students
2) KARYOKWIZ-17-06/01/2017 , KAPV Medical college ,Trichy.45 students attended in poster presentation and got third prize
3) CME Programme on THYROID -21/07/17 –Kanyakumari Govt Medical College
5) ) International Conference on Exploring Anatomy and Genetics by modern research trends and education- -09/04/2018 and 10/04/2018- Arupadaiveedu Medical College,Pondicherry .20 students participated and won first and second prizes in paper presentation,model making,histology drawing and debate.
6) EBSO-ELSEVIER-Basic sciences Olympiad (INDIA)-Anatomy mcq competition on 29/06/2018.10 students were selected for the next level.
7) KARYOKWIZ-19-KAPV Medical college ,Trichy, 05/01/2019.37 students participated in model making, quiz competition and poster presentation.
8) HISTION 19 07/01/2019
9) ForAnSync-2020-21- Sree Balaji Medical College and Hospital,Chennai .16/07/21 and 17/07/21 National e conference ;10 students presented original research articles as E-poster and got second and fourth places.